Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Installation/NAT Problem
  Posted by  Shriram Pathanjali  on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 2:29:28 AM (EST)
Hi!

I have a PC that connects to the net using an USB ADSL modem. I have another MAC which needs to be connected to the net as well!

I Installed the s/w and tried configuring it. When it came to the NAT screen I tried to check the box which says share your internet connection. I get an error message saying you need atleast 2 network adapters to do a NAT, which is true.

I read a few articles in the knowledge base section and came to know that the devices can be a combination of network card and a modem (like in my case). But it still wouldn't let me configure my NAT.

Any thooughts on how to go about it?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 10:29:48 AM (EST)
I have heard that Software602 Support has tracked this down to be a problem with hyperthreading and/or SMP (multi-processor) support. Do you have a machine that supports either?

If you look at the system requirements, it says

The Firewall and NAT functionality is only available on Windows 2000/XP/2003. Computers with multiple processors or processors with Hyper-threading support currently do NOT support the Firewall and NAT functions.

http://support.software602.com/products/ls2004/systemreq.asp
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 10:29:50 AM (EST)
I have heard that Software602 Support has tracked this down to be a problem with hyperthreading and/or SMP (multi-processor) support. Do you have a machine that supports either?

If you look at the system requirements, it says

The Firewall and NAT functionality is only available on Windows 2000/XP/2003. Computers with multiple processors or processors with Hyper-threading support currently do NOT support the Firewall and NAT functions.

http://support.software602.com/products/ls2004/systemreq.asp
  Posted by Michael Davies  on Thursday, April 15, 2004 at 6:47:31 AM (EST)
I have the same problem - running LS4 on a W2K Pro system with TCP/IP LAN and USB modem (also TCP/IP) connections - I get the same error message except for once a couple of days back when I was able to select NAT and the 2 interfaces. However, I did not have time to test it that day and so I don't know if the NAT actually works.

Since then, LS4 steadfastly refuses to recognise the existence of the interfaces!???

If anyone can shed any light on this, I would be most interested.
  Posted by Michael Davies  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 12:04:31 AM (EST)
I have today discovered that logging in as the administrator (Windows log in during start up) seems to solve the problem - i.e. after logging in as the administrator on the system running LS2004, I was able to select the internal and external interfaces and NAT! From a security aspect (hacking/cracking), I am not too happy about having to be permanently logged in as administrator (although I am using an external s/w firewall - Zone Alarm Pro) so hope that this will give adequate protection.

Perhaps someone can explain why the administrator log in is necessary?
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 11:39:40 AM (EST)
Are you running as a service, or in console mode? In console mode I would see it needing administrative log in. I run in service mode, using the web interface to administer LS.
  Posted by Michael Davies  on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 at 12:48:17 AM (EST)
Yes, I am using console mode - I didn't realise (and don't understand why) it makes a difference. Thanks for your comment, Russell.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 at 12:37:45 PM (EST)
Simple answer to why admin log in makes a difference is the registry. Only administrator has full access to the registry. Anything less has various areas locked up, depending on the log in type used. So if the registry area that is trying to be changed, in this case a hardward connection, is locked you can not changed it.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.