Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Lansuite 2004 startup prob on Windows Server 2003
  Posted by  Phillip Shaw  on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 3:12:40 PM (EST)
...A clean install of Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition; DNS and AD with NO errors at startup but when I install Lansuite 2004 it hangs at startup with the following Event Viewer message:

"The description for Event ID (0) in Source (lansuits) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event; Service lansuits started."

I have clean re-installed OS with combinations of Stand Alone, Active Direcory, w/DNS, w/o DNS & Lansuite 3x always with same problem and same message.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 5:18:41 PM (EST)
Did you install it as administrator? The error message says something about the registry. Windows 2003 is very picky about default file and registry privledges. I've only installed the software as Administrator on Windows 2003 and it worked fine for me.
  Posted by Phillip Shaw  on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 5:36:24 PM (EST)
yes it was installed Lansuite 2004 on a new and fairly bare system directly at the computer logged on as Administrator...event viewer is clean at startup when Lansuite is set to manual but with it's set to Automatic, it hangs at startup...???
  Posted by Nick Bates  on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 5:30:48 AM (EST)
I am also having this problem. Clean install of Windows Server 2003.

However, it only started doing this after running a Windows update. Could the MDAC update cause this problem??
  Posted by Nick Bates  on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 5:37:04 AM (EST)
After a bit of digging I have noticed the following.

If you activate LDAP in LanSuite2004 on a Windows 2003 Server this error will occur. Then uninstall and reinstall to disable the LDAP again.

Problem seems to lie with LDAP.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 9:51:05 AM (EST)
I wonder if this is a conflict with Active Directory. Do you all have it running? Active Directory is basically a glorified LDAP directory, so if you're running LDAP AND Active Directory, that could be the problem.
  Posted by Phillip Shaw  on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 10:53:14 PM (EST)
as i mentioned above, i tried installing both with and w/o AD. as far as "other things going on", i've taken everything i can think of out of the equation as far as eliminating system services...plugged NIC directly into DSL modem bypassing firewalls, routers, switchs, hubs, etc.....?????

i just this afternoon added a 2nd NIC on my XP Pro workstation and plugged it into my DMZ port, installed Lansuite 2004 and guess what...all works well.

all together my windows 2003 server and lansuite install combinations is 8 to 0...that is 8 combinations without a clean lansuite result...i really be surprised if it isn't a 602's problem...
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 at 10:31:22 AM (EST)
by virtue of it working fine on XP, I would venture to say that this is a configuration problem in Windows 2003, and really has nothing to do with lan suite. I say this because I have 2 clients now running LS just fine on Windows 2003. I used the default, out of the box configuration of Windows 2003 and it worked great.

Oh, they have about 150 workstations too, and they all use the proxy server. They run it on a P4/2.4GHz machine with 2GB of ram.

Check your LS log file and see if maybe that will give you a hint as to what is going on.
  Posted by Stuart Gibbs  on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 2:29:51 PM (EST)
Concerning the following error -

The description for Event ID (0) in Source (lansuits) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event; Service lansuits started

I would point out that this error is also produced with Windows XP. It appears in the Event Viewer when "lansuits" is started as a service.
However - the service starts fine and seems to run perfectly with all functionality working OK.
  Posted by G B  on Sunday, April 25, 2004 at 6:59:37 PM (EST)
LS 2004 Installed on XPpro also getting that error message. LS starts only sometimes; so I used a batch file thus:-
@echo off
setlocal
net start lansuits
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 GOTO END
pause
:END
endlocal

At least I can start it manually, bu not located problem.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.