Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
XP Home Edition License prob
  Posted by  Awab Alvi  on Thursday, February 26, 2004 at 3:18:14 AM (EST)
Hi -

let me explain my setup

im running a Total 9 computer peer-peer network - the main file server is running XP Prof and it serves the requirements of a certain software to 7 computers for simplicity lets call it "NETWORK A".

The other network lets name it as "NETWORK B" is of the two other computers basically the main web proxy server (192.168.0.1) runs Lansuite it is installed on an XP HOME. Sharing resources between both these computers is a little bit of a problem but i wont bore you to death on this minor issue of lesser consequnce

The problem arises when i try to connect a mapped network drive from any network A computer to teh 192.168.0.1 server computer to feed a directory resource for a software It gives the following errors

"An error occured while reconnecting to Y:\.......
Microsoft Windows Network Not enough server storage is avaible to process this command
this connection has not been restored"

on another attempt when trying to connect to the proxy server (192.168.0.1) computer via network neghbourhood, i see the shared folders but when trying to access the folder contents i get the following prompt

"\\XYZ........ is not accessible you might not have permission to use this netowrk. Contcat the adminsitrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found"

my gutt feeling was that it might be a 5 user license limit of XP HOME and thought i might hove to up the system to a server edition.
what really stumps me is that one fine day everything funtions like a breeze and other days (mostly) it just is stubborn i have kicked the CPU's once of twice to get them to behave but i think Bill Gates wants me to curse him even more

I am baffled - would appreacite any help
  Posted by Andy Sharrem  on Thursday, February 26, 2004 at 4:33:08 AM (EST)
Lets isolate the problem...
Does everything work with LS firewall disabled??
If so choose high level security option and define your internal network correctly. Then play with firewall to enable windows file sharing for the internal network.
  Posted by Awab Alvi  on Friday, February 27, 2004 at 5:37:50 AM (EST)
yes everything was workiing with the LS firewall disabled -

i tested it with the firewall on set to HIGH - no effect - set to LOW no effect -

i turned LS off and tried to connect well the message is different says its just "not connecting" - so with LS on i get a different msg and with it off another -

my gutt feeling is that it just might not be LS after all - any insights
  Posted by Andy Sharrem  on Saturday, February 28, 2004 at 3:28:35 PM (EST)
For LS to work correctly, TCP/IP must be setup correctly. The easiest way is setup the DHCP Server of LS and for all other computers to obtain IP automagically. From there High Security should work for now.
When everything is set you should be able to ping each machine by its name (firewall off for this test or allow 'ping' in firewall).

XP Has lots of issues...
To browse accross the network you must set a password, or turn on 'Guest Access', or Adjust the "local security policy" on each machine to disable 'Limit the use of blank passwords to console only'.

There are also slow browsing issues that make XP appear to hang when browsing. Some say it is XP checking scheduled tasks b4 connecting. There is a reg hack for this and MS KB articles. I have found that removing the 'QoS' protocol from the NIC works for me.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.