Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Multiple Connections problem in Proxy
  Posted by  Manish Ashar  on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 6:18:36 AM (EST)
I have installed LS-2003 on Win98 SE with 5 user trial license.

Problem is that in the network of 20 PCs only 6 are configured for Proxy. However even after a few PCs have exited browser and remaining PCs out of 6 PCs try to browse it gives error for "User License Exceeded" (This is not the actual message as I am writing from another location). Is it possible that even after browser has been closed, the session still continues ?

After re-starting LanSuite it works well with the remaining PCs.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 10:19:04 AM (EST)
If you are using MS Internet Explorer, it is possible that the connection is being maintained.

People think that the IE browser is required. It is not. It was a miss direction trick of MS when they put in the option to un-install the 'browser' interface. The internet connection in Windows is built deep into the operating system. Apart from the IE browser, there is another part called 'Windows explorer', and this is independent of the browser. To use it all you have to do is type an address like, http://www.microsoft.com, into the address bar of any window. Viola, you are surfing the net.

So once MS operating system makes an internet connection, it is likely permament until you restart the machine.
  Posted by Manish Ashar  on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 10:25:20 AM (EST)
Any other solution except restarting PC ? What if even Windows Explorer is not started ? Will it terminate the connection ?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 10:36:11 AM (EST)
Actually, I had this problem with trial software and multiple computers at one of my client sites and sites that release DHCP leases on shutdown.

LS keeps a database of IP addresses that have accessed the proxy, and it remains there for some time..I've seen times of around 2-3 hours or so..There's really no way to work around this, rebooting the client PC won't fix the problem, you'd have to change the IP addresses on the clients to one of the databased IPs.
  Posted by Manish Ashar  on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 10:46:56 AM (EST)
Will the 10 or 25 user will have provision of having simaltaneous 10-25 users irrespective how many PCs are configured for Internet Access ?
  Posted by Andy Sharrem  on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 3:41:12 PM (EST)
When a connection is established via a browser ( in any direction ) there is a timeout as to when the connection is closed. It is not a long timeout, less than 60 secs I think, the log will confirm. Look for an entry with the same ID and a 'established' and 'closed' description.

When I was experimenting with port mapping to other internal servers, I noted that each map used up a user licence whenever it was 'established'. I could be wrong here.

Also don't forget about applications like 'Windows Update' and 'AntiVirus updaters' that will establish connections in the background.

Maybe having the user authenticate with the proxy will aleviate the problem.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.