Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
smtp problems
  Posted by  Peter Mitterboeck  on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 11:26:35 AM (EST)
Hi!
Since upgrading from lansuite 2002 to 2003, I have an interesting problem: when sending email from any workstation, it takes over 2 minutes before the transfer of data between workstation and lansuite server starts:
16:02:31 SMTP: [2] 'acer-schlepptop' [192.168.0.16] connected.
16:02:31 SMTP: [2] SMTP connection to 'acer-schlepptop' established.
16:05:22 SMTP: [2] Receiving message to 'D:\LANSUITE\io\internet\2eff5bec.d'.
16:05:22 SMTP: [2] Message received (2062 B).
16:05:24 SMTP: [2] SMTP connection to 'acer-schlepptop' properly terminated.
So the network works fine, ther are no other problems or errors, just this delay when processing a message.
Now I tried to send a message via telnet:
250 Welcome acer-schlepptop
mail from: peter@localdomain.at
250 peter@localdomain.at Sender Ok
rcpt to: p.mitterboeck@aon.at
250 p.mitterboeck@aon.at Recipient Ok
data
354 Please start mail input.
testmail

250 Mail queued for delivery.
The point is that the smtp-server hangs for 1-2 minutes at the "rcpt: to" - command before it accepts the recipient. Is this a bug or can I do anything to make the server act faster? This problem never occurred in lansuite2002!
By the way, this has nothing to do with antivirus software!!!
  Posted by Peter Mitterboeck  on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 12:13:36 PM (EST)
... another fact is that via webmail you don't expect timeouts! testmail vie webmail interface left the workstation and the server within seconds!!!
  Posted by Peter Mitterboeck  on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 1:03:54 PM (EST)
it's me once again. Could it be possible that the time issue correlates with the anti spam lists selected?
I thought the anti spam lists are used when retrieving email from the internet, not when sending email to the internet!?
  Posted by Efren Ouano  on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 2:48:41 PM (EST)
Peter;

See my notes on my problem thread that you had responded earlier.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 4:38:46 PM (EST)
Could this have anything to do with anti-spam? Maybe. What happens when you turn off the anti-spam stuff?

I could see where it could take a while to contact your DNSBL lists and/or process it against your anti-spam settings..especially the DNSBL's as they are hosted elsewhere.

Likewise, if you have a large number of servers/addresses in your block list, it's possible it could take a while to process this.

I mentoned in the other thread that the server is a queuing server. I'm quite experienced with these types of servers, as they are commonly used in the *nix environment (Sendmail, for example is commonly used as a SMTP+Queuing server, in fact, I believe RedHat Linux uses Sendmail in the capacity as default, for example.

A Queuing server stores the message and then processes it when resources are available, on a connection schedule, etc. I have noticed in LS, this schedule is about 1-2 minutes or so and appears to be hard coded into the program (Ie, I don't see any way to change it)...
  Posted by Efren Ouano  on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 11:00:32 AM (EST)
It is the SPAM filter list. What is the minimum selection? Which one is the best on the list?

I deselected my previous choices and now everything runs fast.

Isn't there a way to check SPAM only on incoming email?

The case is closed for me.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.