Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
WWW server - cant open some files
  Posted by  Edward Crowe  on Thursday, January 22, 2004 at 4:40:30 AM (EST)
I am using the lansuite WWW server with the 'browse directories' option enabled.

Users can see all of the files on the server and can open some files such as pdf and txt, but others can not be opened or downloaded.

Users can not open .doc or .eml files; nor can they be downloaded by clicking on the 'save target as' in the context menu.

Has anyone else seen this problem ?
Any ideas why some files can and some can't be accessed through the WWW server ?
Can anyone out there access .doc files through the WWW server ?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, January 22, 2004 at 10:17:40 AM (EST)
You need to change/add the mime types in socksdll.ini in your lan suite root directory so they look like this:

application/msword=doc
application/octet-stream=bin eml

I don't know if it was working before or not, but I just tested it and it appears to work.

Posted by Edward Crowe  on Thursday, January 22, 2004 at 2:10:28 PM (EST)
Hi Robert

Well, I added the lines you suggested in the .ini file and hey presto, it works !

So tell me, how are us mere mortals to learn about such tricks ? Is this documented anywhere ? - If so, please could you point me in the right direction of where to read up on it.

Many thanks for your great help.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, January 22, 2004 at 3:01:36 PM (EST)
I had to edit the socksdll.ini to fix an unrelated problem for a client of mine who wanted to use the server and wanted to have more than 150 simultaneous connections (Support pointed me to the file).. I was looking through the file and noticed the mime types.

I know from my experience with other web servers that mime types tell the server how to send the files, so I just had to find the right mime setting and add the extension for you. Not a big deal.

I don't think it's documented anywhere because technically you shouldn't edit the file..but if it fixes the problem, well there you go. I know Jimi in Support would tell you how to do it or at least point you in the right direction.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.