Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Remotely sending through LS
  Posted by  Callum Mccormick  on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 at 8:13:03 PM (EST)
Hi,

I haven't upgraded to 2003 yet, however have a 10 user system here with two users on laptops. Both these users can collect mail from our Lan Suite server, one on broadband and one on dial up, using no-ip.com to find the server. They can collect mail by using LS as their POP3 server, but they can't send through LS without me opening up the server for relay.

I have them both using their ISP's outgoing mail server to send mail however one of them wants to use AOL and they don't allow SMTP relay, even from their own users.

How can I configure the system so that they can both reliably SEND mail through the server (with potentially a different IP address every time).

?

Callum.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Thursday, January 08, 2004 at 6:01:29 PM (EST)
Can anyone help me..

To clarify, I can pick up mail from outside the LAN from our LS server, but send through it. Need some ideas for a solution.

Cheers,

Callum.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Thursday, January 08, 2004 at 6:02:33 PM (EST)
Mistake in line "but send through it" = "but NOT send through it".

Sorry for confusion.

C.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Thursday, January 08, 2004 at 7:39:28 PM (EST)
Provided that they are using an email address that is defined as a mailbox or alias they should be able to send through LS.

If you have the option 'allow LS users to relay' checked, and they used a system defined email address(mailbox or alias) in the 'from' line, my understanding is it should go through.

A work around option for SMTP relay is www.myrealbox.com. This is Netwares Novell public beta test email server. It allows SMPT connections, and an email account is free.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 6:08:59 AM (EST)
Well, I'll check again Russell...

If someone can confirm that I'm going down the right route - and Russell is certainly correct in his thinking, I'll keep up the pressure on me to solve this problem directly on the server.

Russell, I don't want to use an external "test" SMTP server etc because these things have a mind of their own and can change at a moments notice, but thanks anyway.

Anyone else?

Callum.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 12:45:13 PM (EST)
I run LS2003 on my machine at home. Just set up Outlook Express, at work, and sent two test messages. One to a existing "from" email address, and it went through. The other to a non-existant email "from" address and it was rejected. I configured Outlook Express to use mydomain.com for both the SMTP and PoP3 addresses.

I tried a third message with 'authentification by previous PoP3 access' checked. This I can not get to work. No matter what I do, it is always rejected with a do not relay message. When I check the LS log, it says previous PoP3 access not done, even thou I did do a pop3 access. I suspect the problem with the pop3 access has to do with IP. My LS sits behind a anti-spam program which is reciveing the initial IP address. When this program passes the message to my LS email server, the address is always local 127.0.0.1. The pop3 comes in with my actual IP address which does not match the 127.0.0.1, so gets rejected.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 1:08:21 PM (EST)
Thanks Russell - you're a star checking that for me.

Did you configure outlook express to send via an IP address - or via a real domain name? Can you check if that will work? Trouble is, my IP address at the office may change from time to time because it's dynamically allocated. In fairness, it hasn't changed for months.

!

Callum.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 1:11:58 PM (EST)
Russell... I wonder if it's the difference between 2002 and 2003..?

I'll upgrade my test server and see. Hang on!

Cal.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 2:40:30 PM (EST)
Russell, I upgraded to 2003 with no difference:(

There's obviously something subtle that you're doing different to me.

I even checked the "My server requires authentication" checkbox on the client and ran the username and password through that too. No diference, I can still pick the mail up but I can send through it.

Tried issuing IP address only of outgoing mail server. Agh.

I even opened up the server and unchecked everything - and even then I couldn't send..!

Perhaps it's my ISP? Now there's a thought...? No. Surely not. I'm discounting that.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

The documentation is normally very good - but on that screen it's lacking slightly.

Have a good weekend, talk next week.

Anyone else?

Callum.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 3:06:11 PM (EST)
It is possible the that your ISP is blocking your recieption of port 25. Some ISP only allow you to send SMTP mail, not recieve it.

So if you have not checked with your ISP about what ports they are blocking, it could be a good idea.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Monday, January 12, 2004 at 5:11:37 AM (EST)
Well, it's the only avenue I haven't gone down yet Russell...

I'll give them a call later today.

Thanks for helping my thoughts on this one!

Callum.
  Posted by Callum Mccormick  on Friday, January 16, 2004 at 3:24:19 AM (EST)
RESOLUTION - open Port 25 (SMTP sending)

For future reference, if anyone reads this thread, remember to open port 25 on your router!

Sorted.

(Thanks Russell for keeping me at this :)

Callum.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.