Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602PC SUITE 4.2 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602PC SUITE 4.2 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
602Tab compatibility question
  Posted by  Neil Parks  on Thursday, December 18, 2003 at 4:29:25 PM (EST)
I have read the compatibility PDF, so if this question was addressed there and I overlooked it, I apologize.

I have a spreadsheet created with Excel, in which some of the columns are formatted to insert leading zeroes. For example, if a cell data contains "2" and the format is "000", then the cell should appear as "002".

602Tab has no problem displaying the data correctly in the XLS. The cell does appear as "002". So far so good.

The problem occurs when I save the file as a comma-delimited CSV. The output files created by Excel and by 602Tab are different.

Excel retains the formatting, and the data is written to the CSV as "002". To me, that's the way it should be.

Unfortunately, 602Tab does not retain the cell formatting, and the same field appears in the CSV as "2".

Is there a way that 602Tab can save it the way Excel does?

Posted by Hans Frei  on Thursday, December 18, 2003 at 5:41:37 PM (EST)
Sorry Neil, with my Excel 97 saveing 002 is saved as 2 and not as 002.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, December 22, 2003 at 12:20:44 PM (EST)
If you don't need the data for calculation, like if this is some kind of inventory/part number list, you can format the cells as text. I believe this setting does come over from Excel, but Tab handles things a little differently than Excel.

I just tested 602Tab and you can convert the cell to text and use leading zeros in the cells. I can not use this data in formulas however.
  Posted by Neil Parks  on Monday, December 22, 2003 at 1:05:01 PM (EST)
Robert, thanks for the response. Unfortunately it does not help. I did not create these spreadsheets. Some of them have several hundred rows. To go through each row and write in leading zeros where needed would take many hours, and I could easily miss some.

If I were creating the spreadsheets I would definitely have made them text fields to begin with. But unfortunately I have to use the data as it is supplied to me.

I re-read the compatibility document and still couldn't find anything about this.

Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, December 22, 2003 at 2:16:48 PM (EST)
It won't be in the compatibility document. Why?

001 is 1.
00999 is 999.
000000000410 is 410.

Leading zeros are stripped because they are not needed. This is simply the way the software does it's thing. Just because Excel does it one way does not guarantee another application will do it another way. The simple fact of the matter is if you take the original document and format it correctly to begin with in Excel, it will work fine.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, December 22, 2003 at 2:20:54 PM (EST)
Also Open Office does the same thing Tab does.

I am also pretty sure StarOffice does the same thing, so it would appear to me that the handling of zeros in Excel is the exception, not the rule.
  Posted by Neil Parks  on Monday, December 22, 2003 at 5:28:50 PM (EST)
Easy Office by E.Z. Press Corp. does it the Excel 2000 way. The thing is a monstrosity, but it looks like I will have to use it just for this compatibility problem. Too bad.

BackBack to 602PC SUITE 4.2 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.