Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
SMTP port 25
  Posted by  Carl Cooke  on Monday, December 08, 2003 at 2:03:38 PM (EST)
Hi

Thanks for the previous help, although it re-iterated what I had read, it just helped to make the penny drop.

OK - the suite has been working fine for a number of days now but the last thing today, it refused to send any emails. When I checked the logs - the the following errors were found:

1. Error initializing AVG Kernel (80040154)

2. Error initializing SMTP port - port already used?

I thought another piece of software could be the culprit so removed, no joy, still the same error.

Could someone please help me (a) find out what this problem is and (b) point me in the right direction to find out about the ports, what ports are for what and (c) how to check them and make them secure etc...

Many thanks again

Carl Cooke

Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, December 08, 2003 at 4:49:52 PM (EST)
1.) Make sure you're not running any other SMTP services, like IIS's SMTP service in your services control panel.

2.) Get an anti-virus rescue disk and check your system for viruses. You may have a virus or worm that sends itself out via SMTP.
  Posted by Thomas Saukam  on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 12:01:15 AM (EST)
Issue a netstat from DOS:

MD-DOS:>netstat -a

Check if port 25 is listed, if so something is using it. If not, firewall is blocking it.

If the port is hung, it will not be on either list. A reboot is then necessary.

You can optionally use fport to determine the application using port 25.

Posted by Carl Cooke  on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 4:22:43 AM (EST)
Thanks for the answers - switched off smtp within iis and it works can now send emails.

What was error 1 however, regarding the kernel and when I run the lan suite, the workgroup viewing of other machines on the network disappears.

Thanks again

Carl
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 5:19:05 PM (EST)
That kernal error comes from LS trying to start Grisoft's anti-virus when it is not installed. No problem with it, it is just annoying. With a bit of luck they will have that error fixed in the next release.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.